Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 9 - Annoyance

One of the reasons I wanted to do Whole 30 was because so many had mentioned that it helped improve their moods.  Since I am guilty of often being 'annoyed' by surrounding circumstances (everything from countless requests made of me throughout the day to hours of listening to a jackhammer), I figured everyone who comes into direct contact with me could benefit from a less 'annoyed' Jen.

Today was a good test for this.  I'm past what should be the initial withdrawal phase, the kids were rambunctious, my baby was grouchy, the jack hammer just kept going and going and going, I was tired, my husband and I had a miscommunication...the conditions were set for an 'annoyed Jen'.  So, did being on Whole 30 improve my mood?  Quite honestly, no.  It just didn't work for me.  Of course I definitely believe that eating well, exercising, and getting good rest are influential in my general attitude, but my decision on whether or not to be annoyed is a heart matter.  Not a matter of how clean or unclean my diet has been.

Usually there is much more to me just being 'annoyed', though.... I use that as a general label when a more accurate description is usually that I'm just worn out, tired, my feelings were hurt, I'm insecure, etc.  More often than not, I use 'annoyed' as a quick response.

And on a slightly different note, I realized today that I am privileged to even try Whole 30.  I have enough access to food that I can actually 'turn down' food.  Some others in this world would think this is absolutely ludicrous.  Some will take every scrap they can get.  And I have access to fresh produce!  I remember how content I was with my shelf stable 'milk' we had in Iraq.....I think I remember the expiration date being somewhere in the 'months' range.

As I 'take' in so much fresh produce and 'clean' food, I'm trying to remember to be generous in other ways.  "To he who has been given much, much is expected".  Mark 14: 3-9 captured my attention in the area of generosity....  more to follow tomorrow....  

No comments:

Post a Comment