Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 3 - yes, I am

addicted.to.sugar.

Before the start of whole30 I was sure that I did not have an addiction to sugar. I eat fairly healthy, know about moderation and can turn down sugary sweets ... I even ask for half the syrup at Starbucks.  See?

But today I found myself in a pitiful situation.  I was making some frosting that included powdered sugar, but my hand mixer is broken so I was using my big stand mixer.  As I turned it on, all the powdered sugar 'poofed' into the air, creating a big cloud that left a thin layer of sugar on every surface.    The cloud of sugar was so big that when my son walked into the kitchen, he even asked why there was steam.  :)  As the big 'poof' of sugar was suspended in the air, I was literally sticking my tongue out hoping to get some sugar and even telling myself just to 'inhale'.  Yes. I. am. addicted. to. sugar.  I would have vehemently denied it before today, but now I know.  and I admit it.

I never denied myself all sugar before, so I was actually feeding my little addiction without even knowing it through small doses of 'moderation'.

But the thing is, we are all addicted to something.  This is what the Israelites in the Old Testament were constantly warned about and reprimanded for.  Allowing something other than God be their addiction - aka idolatry.  Addiction to anything other than God is bad.  Shoot, even an addiction to a good thing, like clean eating, is a bad thing because we make it first and foremost instead of being addicted to the First and Foremost.

Here's to discovering and breaking more hidden addictions.    

No comments:

Post a Comment