Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 4 - transformation or self denial?

One thing is for sure.  Adjusting to cooking Whole 30 compliant creates WAY more dishes!  My dishwasher is working overtime.

The other thing I wanted to note is that Whole 30 is not just about the actual food ingredients themselves.  There's a part on Whole 30's website that discourages even using Whole 30 compliant ingredients to make pseudo treats.  So that makes me think that it's not just the food in and of itself that Whole 30 aims to limit, but our desire for the 'unclean' foods.  For example, coconut milk, bananas and unsweetened cocoa powder are allowed.  But using those ingredients to make a dessert is not allowed.  So, it's not the ingredients, it's the idea of having a treat/dessert.

I just have to say that right now, as a Whole 30 newbie, that just seems down right silly to me!  Is it or is it not about the ingredients?  What is wrong with using better ingredients to adjust our palate for healthier treats?

Is it about transformation or self denial?  In other words, is it about changing the way we taste 'real' food and appreciate clean eating or just killing the desire to want a treat?

Maybe I'm just so tired of eating so much meat and eggs that I'm being a little grouchy about this topic... we'll see how I feel about this in another few days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment