Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Here goes nothing

I have started and erased, started and erased this post a few too many times.

Some folks have asked for the specifics on what I am currently doing for cancer treatment.

And there's also a question of 'do I still have cancer'?  Well, yes.  and no.  Different docs have given me different opinions based on my pathology report..'you have clean margins'...'you don't have clean margins'.....all docs agree, though, that my treatment should include chemotherapy and radiation.  

I guess it's obvious by now, though, that we are taking a different route.

Both the conventional and alternative worlds agree that everyone has precancerous cells in their bodies.  So what makes these precancerous cells turn into actual cancer?  Here is where the conventional and alternate paths diverge:  My conventional docs say it is 'random' and 'sporadic' and 'it just happens'.  Because only roughly 10% of breast cancer is genetic.  The rest 'just happens'.  The alternate opinion is that our immune system is what keeps these precancerous cells in check.  When our immune system is compromised in a significant manner, precancerous cells are given the opportunity and the right conditions to turn into actual cancer.  Ty Bollinger, a huge advocate for information on 'alternate' cancer treatments, describes the root cause of cancer as a compromised immune system.  

Can I post another disclaimer once again here????  There is not one bit of judgement or condemnation in the following posts that I will write about my cancer fighting regime.  Nada.  Not an iota.  Please read that again.  Regardless of what you or someone you know chooses for their cancer treatment, I am not here to judge.  My heart is to share what I know and let the decision be yours.  I feel like I've gained a wealth of incredible information over the last six months and I am just bursting at the seams to share.  And so much of what I've learned can be used in conjunction with conventional treatment like chemotherapy and radiation.  A cancer battle is deeply personal....I had no idea how hard decisions would be for us.  So, again.  No judgement here.  Just encouragement and a desire to share what I have learned and continue to learn.

And in regards to learning:  one of the most invaluable, intangible skills I gained through college was the ability to learn.  The practice of teaching and educating myself....learning how to learn.  I was not a fan of the Thayer method (where you basically teach yourself and ask questions in class), but geesh, I am so thankful for it now.  Much of my learning has been through books, articles, internet and interviews....along the way I have definitely encountered some 'quackery' and you quickly learn to discern real, evidence based research from the quacks.  One of my prayer is to always have this discernment.

I'm so nervous about sharing more specifics about my cancer fighting regime.  And I say cancer fighting because that's what this is.  I am not preventing it.  I've already had it.  boo.  Now I fight it the best I can everyday.

My kiddos had their first swim team practice yesterday.  Of course, we had the most unseasonal weather.  We live in the desert and have had gorgeous weather all week yet a thunderstorm broke out just before practice.  It subsided in time so my kiddos hopped in the pool and shivered their way through their very first practice.  I was so proud of them.  Not because of their mileage or how awesome their technique was (at some point Ada just hung on to the neck of her coach :)), but because they jumped into that chilly water in some less than favorable conditions and made it to the end.  I am proud of them just for trying despite being uncomfortable and a little nervous.  So it's their momma's turn.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with sharing the specifics and hugely nervous, but life wasn't meant to be played in a 'safe' arena.  One of my favorite quotes is from The Chronicles of Narnia, describing Aslan:  "He isn't safe, but he is good."  What I hope to continue sharing may not be safe, but it is goodness that I feel convicted to share.

The simplified overview of what I am doing right now is a lifestyle that involves:
1) optimizing my immune system.  Did you know that 80% of your immune system is located in your gut??  I'm fascinated with the microbiome right now.  
2) Nutrition has been the gateway for my cancer fighting regime.  This includes, yes, organic and non-GMOs. (you can argue that organic and non-GMOs may cost more, but I consider it an investment.  Besides, it's cheaper than our latest bill from MD Anderson!
3) Removing toxins (environmental, cosmetic, household cleaners, etc.)
4) supplementing for the micronutrients that I may be deficient in (I read a study where every single breast cancer patient was deficient in magnesium)
 5) finding alternate, natural, plant based sources of cleaners and cosmetics.  There is so much research regarding the efficacy of therapeutic grade essential oils (there is some serious science behind this!)
6) managing stress.  I used to disregard the significance of stress because I'm not the personality to sit by the road side and cry, but I am learning about stress in a new way.  If you had someone honking a horn at you every few minutes during the day, you would be stressed.  Based on your personality, you may not visibly react to it, but your body reacts in a 'fight' or 'flight' mode and that is what a 'stressor' is.

As I mentioned, nutrition has been the gateway for learning about overall health and wellness.  In my recent hands on nutrition class one of the first things I taught about was sugar.  Refined white table sugar.  There is zero nutritional value in it.  http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/replacing-refined-sugars-with-natural-sugars-one-step-at-a-time/. 

...Refined sugar contains no fiber, no minerals, no proteins, no fats, no enzymes, only empty calories. What happens when you eat a refined carbohydrate like sugar? Your body must borrow vital nutrients from healthy cells to metabolize the incomplete food. Calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium are taken from various parts of the body to make use of the sugar."  http://rense.com/general45/sguar.htm

It only harms.  It is addictive (don't believe me?  just trying cutting out all refined white sugar for just three days)  I'm not talking about sugar in the form of glucose which our bodies need as fuel for our cells (think fruits and veggies).  I'm talking about the refined white table sugar that somehow has found it's way into almost every ingredient label and is in almost every kid cereal, snack bar, drink, sauce, condiment, etc.  Some folks can go cold turkey (cancer was a good motivator for me!), but if you can't go cold turkey, at least limit it.  Maybe you pay attention to labels a little more and choose products that have less than 10g of sugar and gradually decrease from there.  Maybe you go from 3 sodas a week to 1.  Maybe it means dessert after only dinner vs every meal or just four times a week.  Whatever works for you, whatever is achievable, go for it.  We are sugar laden and it is wreaking havoc on our health.  I launched cold turkey into dropping sugar when I learned that sugar fuels cancer.  

Now see how that can sound so judgmental and a bit like 'don't eat this, don't drink that, don't use this, don't, don't, don't...'  So, here's my 'do's'.  In moderation, do use natural sweeteners.  So far I haven't seen research against the use of stevia.  Local raw honey provides nutritional benefits.  Grade B Maple Syrup.  Black Strap Molasses.  Dates.  Just to name a few.  Here is a site with some great information regarding natural sweeteners. http://draxe.com/natural-sweeteners/ 

If you have any more questions regarding sugar, feel free to ask!  If someone who used to have ice with cereal for breakfast can cut out sugar, then so can you.  :)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment