Tuesday, January 28, 2014

U-Turns and Dead Ends



Some may know that I have a terrible sense of direction.  Truly...not just a bad sense of direction, but a really terrible sense of direction.  For example, if I'm lost and trying to find my way around and think that I need to turn right, I'll actually tell myself to turn left since I would have turned right....because I'm that bad at directions.  I know we live in the age of GPS, but a computer doesn't always know when there are detours due to construction....which brings me to a recent outing.

One of the things I get really excited to find whenever we move to a new place is a hair salon!  Once I find someone who can cut my hair I feel degrees closer to saying we are 'settled'.  I got a referral from a friend and while I was out running errands I had a few extra minutes so I thought I would swing by and check the place out....it was only 5 minutes from our house.  Supposedly.  Let me just say I set a new record:  I ran into TWELVE U-turns and dead ends.  And then to make it worse, once I was past the twilight zone of dead ends I looked around and realized I had just driven past my HOUSE!  See.  I really am bad at navigation.

Once I finally got a chance to look at my map and zoom out, I realized why I was stuck in the land of never ending u-turns/dead ends.  In this neighborhood adjacent to ours, there is only one road that crosses the Rio Grande and since that road was under construction the only way around was actually two exits further on the highway.  Ahhhhh..... after I looked at the big picture I understood why I had been SO stinkin' turned around.

As a family, we have been re-evaluating and praying about adjusting certain things in our life.  And in one particular area it seems like I am running into dead end after dead end....and then another dead end.  It can be discouraging at times and mildly frustrating.  And it makes me doubt.  And then I doubt my doubts.  And quite frankly, I'm currently confused on which way to turn and how to adjust our path.  I feel like I'm in the twilight zone of dead ends and U-turns and really wanting to explore every possibility, but I'm growing weary.

But God is faithful and I feel like He gently nudged me with an answer.  Not a specific answer that I was looking for, but a reminder to 'zoom out'.  To remember that He already knows the right path and that no matter which wrong turn I may or may not make, He will always bring me Home.  For now, I'm growing more and more confident in just taking in the big picture....remembering that He is faithful and always working for our Good and His Glory...and letting Him reveal the details to me in due time without fear of what may or may not be.  After all, He's even numbered the hairs on our head.


No comments:

Post a Comment